Friday, March 28, 2008

Firdays with John: From a Geico ad to this

I'm sitting here listening to my iTunes on random, and I came across a song by Erlend Øye. It's different, somewhat soothing, and electronica-esque. Over the years a lot of friends have tried to get me to listen to new music and it's often on these random listenings that they finally get heard. I thought, "hey, this guy's okay. Where have I heard his voice? Oh, that's right, in that GEICO caveman ad with the forlorn caveman on the airport people-mover." You've seen it, right?

I looked to see if I had the song from the ad on my computer and I didn't. It turns out the song is a cover of "Remind Me" by Röyksopp. They are a Norwegian electronica group. And, it turns out they are also a pretty big deal. In Europe, they've sold millions of albums. Elsewhere, their work ends up in commercials or as background music for TV shows. Apple licensed one of their songs, Eple (apple in Norwegian), as the welcome music to OS X (Panther). It played the first time a user booted a new Mac.

And to make a long story short. I think their video for "Remind Me" may be one of the best I've ever seen. Enjoy. And have a nice weekend.

No comments: